Sunday, January 18, 2009

What are the critical measurements of a good pizza joint?

Ok, so math has always been easier for me than others, I ended up an engineer for a while, and I now sell information technology.  So for me, the first thing to consider when starting the Dallas Pizza Club was what system are we going to use to pick the restaurants and what are they KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) we'll judge them by?  As always, you could come up with hundreds of them, but abiding by Pareto's 80/20 rule, I always like to keep things to no more that 5.  So here's my first shot...

1.  Food / Taste - obviously, without good food, you got nothin.

2.  Service - bad service can ruin any meal.  Seems like these first two are a given.

3.  Ambiance - call it scene or gut feel or whatever you will, but an important aspect of any eatery is comfortability.  The best filet eaten in a sewer will be the worst meal you've ever had.

4.  Value - This is important, especially in these economic times and in a city like Dallas, where it's easy to find restaurants that can help you spend $500 in a couple hours (of course you have to have a healthy appetite and liver like me to make it happen, dang you Maker's Manhattans).

5.  Parking / Location - always an important factor because you have to drive everywhere in Dallas (it really is a sprawling metropolis), where many restaurants will take an entire empty parking lot, put out a "complimentary" valet service with cones across the entire lot, and guilt you into a $5 tip just so a guy can park your car 10 feet away.


I think I'll go with a scale of 1-10 for my rating system allowing for a maximum score of 50.  

Thoughts?  Am I totally missing something?

Cheers,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment